Thursday, April 28, 2011

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

My thesis depicts current Philadelphia Phillies players. Looking at the recent baseball cards by Topps made me realize how magical the cards of the past were and how sentimental these little collections were to some. What I wanted out of my illustrations was to link the disconnect from the past to the present and give that nostalgic feeling to those who so charished these cards when they were younger as well as appeal to the present generation. The poses are synonymous to the great baseball players of the past. These rockstars of the day include Bob Feller and Mickey Mantel, just to name a few. For inspiration I looked to Kadir Nelson the beautiful way he handles fabric as well as Gil Elvgren for essence of the time era and color. As for my biggest inspiration of all, I left that up to baseball itself. I hope that you get that feeling of being at the game, routing for your team, and enjoying the thrill of the great American pastime.

No comments:

Post a Comment